CMCS issues new certification scheme documents
Posted: 20 December, 2022. Written by Georgia
We have recently issued two updated versions of the 'REAL Industrially Compostable Products' and 'REAL Home Compostable Products' certification scheme documents. Version 2 of these documents can be found and downloaded from our website here.
The key changes from the previous versions are:
- Restructure of the documents for clarity on the certification process
- Addition of tea bags, coffee filters, and coffee pods as applicable product types
- Introduction of product requirements for PFAS to be not intentionally added
- Change of IC certificate validity period from 3 years to 5 years
Other minor changes have also been introduced to terminology and specific clauses where additional details have been added to clarify the requirements.
For the restriction on PFAS, the following applies to applicants:
- Producers of not already certified products must meet these product requirements and declare that PFAS has not been intentionally added to the product by signing the relevant CMCS application form
- Producers of products with intentionally added PFAS, already certified for compostability according to other certification schemes, may apply to join CMCS but the certificate will only be valid until 31st December 2024
Updated application forms with the PFAS declaration can be downloaded from here.